The Electrical Power Engineering PSM provides core technical education in power systems analysis, transmission and distribution systems and power system economics and electricity markets. You can supplement this core technical work with elective courses in areas ranging from power electronics to power system protection to high voltage engineering.
Complementing this technical education is a wide selection of elective courses in areas ranging from law and finance, to project management and an industry based internship project. The goal is to produce graduates who have both a thorough knowledge of the electric power system and the professional skills needed to advance in both technical and management careers within the industry.
Graduates of the PSM degree program who are already employed in the electric power industry are expected to become more valuable to their companies. Others are expected to be in demand by electric utilities, supporting industries and government agencies.
Students will be able to:
- Show an understanding of the design of the electric power generation and transmission system to include the ability to:
- analytically describe generators of electric power
- apply theoretical principles to the design of transmission/distribution lines
- analyze the performance of transmission/distribution lines
- Show an understanding of the analysis and operation of the electric power transmission system to include the ability to:
- analyze the performance of power systems under normal operation
- describe the principles of operating power systems
- analyze the performance of power systems under abnormal operation
- Show a deeper understanding of one or more areas of electric power engineering. These options include:
- power electronics
- power system protection
- high voltage engineering
- Show an understanding of the intersection between the technical and business aspects of electric power engineering to include the ability to:
- describe economic constraints on electric power system operation
- describe the operation of electric power markets
- Describe and apply basic principles of the electric power system business. These will include:
- legal issues
- finance issues
- project management issues
- human resource issues
- Be able to apply coursework to practical situations in the electric power industry.