Skip to main content Skip to navigation
ESIC banner

Electrical Power Engineering PSM

Regular Admission

To enroll as a degree seeking student in the Electrical Power Engineering PSM program, you must be recommended by the program director and be admitted to WSU’s Graduate School.

The program director will require a BS in electrical engineering or equivalent from an accredited school. A determination of whether a BS degree is equivalent will be made by the program director.

The graduate school will require a baccalaureate degree with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 system) of graded undergraduate coursework, or a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 system) from graded graduate coursework when there are 12 or more semester hours of graded graduate coursework taken after the bachelor’s degree

If you believe that you meet these criteria, you will be required to submit:

  • A complete application, including $90 application fee.
  • A letter of intent and introduction, outlining areas of interest in Electrical Power Engineering, career objectives, and any academic or professional experiences that recommend you as an applicant.
  • Two original letters of recommendation from persons qualified to speak to your professional and/or academic qualifications and potential.
  • Official copies of transcripts (including all colleges or universities from which you have earned or expect to earn a degree, and all colleges or universities at which you have taken graduate level course work; transcripts for coursework taken at Washington State University are not required). Official transcripts are those mailed directly from the registrar of the institution(s) you attended.
  • Official TOEFL score (for international applicants). Information about waiving of this requirement can be found at WSU Graduate School
  • GRE is NOT required.

Alternative Admission

No BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Equivalent

If you have a baccalaureate degree but the degree is not in electrical engineering or equivalent, please carefully review the specific prerequisites for the courses in the Electric Power Engineering PSM given in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section of this website.  If you can demonstrate using either a transcript or other evidence acceptable to the program director that you have mastered the material listed in the prerequisites, you may be allowed to enroll in program courses.  It must be emphasized, however, that prerequisites are important since it is neither in your or the program’s interest for you to enroll in a course for which you are not well prepared. The program director will make a decision about whether regular admission can be approved or whether one of the alternative paths described below can be used.

Less than a 3.0 grade point average

Full information about the alternative admissions described below can be found in the WSU Graduate Policies and Procedures Manual.

In some cases, the Graduate School will allow Provisional Enrollment in the program.

In other cases, a student may initially enroll as a non-degree student and (if successful in the first two courses and recommended by instructors) may be admitted into the program as a regular student. At least one of these two courses must be an electrical engineering course.

Applications for non-degree graduate status are processed by the Graduate School without departmental recommendation, and applicants are subject to the following rules:

  • Required to pay graduate fees.
  • Permitted to enroll in courses only with permission of the instructor and the department offering the courses. Students who register without departmental approval may be disenrolled.
  • Permitted to remain in non-degree graduate status for up to one calendar year.
  • Permitted to apply up to 6 hours of non-degree graduate status credit to the graduate degree requirements if admitted by the WSU Graduate School to a degree program. Use of non-degree graduate status credits will be held to the usual time restrictions for program completion.

A separate application for admission is required if the student wishes to pursue an advanced degree. It should be noted that students who enroll under non-degree graduate status may or may not choose to complete applications to a degree-seeking program in the Graduate School.

Further, there is no guarantee that they will be accepted if they apply. If the students apply to a degree-seeking program and are accepted, they will be appropriately reclassified as Regular or Provisional. International students who require a student visa are not eligible for non-degree graduate status. Non-degree Application form.